Phytonutrients (or Phytochemicals) are natural occurring chemicals contained in plant foods. “Phyto” refers to the Greek word for plant. These chemicals help protect plants from germs, fungi, bugs, and other threats. Besides Fruits and vegetables. other plant foods like whole grains, legumes/beans, nuts and seeds, and herbs and spices also contain phytonutrients.
Unlike the vitamins and minerals, phytonutrients are not essential for keeping you alive; however, when you eat or drink phytonutrients, they may help prevent disease and keep your body working properly. Some benefits of phytonutrients include
- antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities.
- enhanced immunity and inter-cellular communication.
- repairing of DNA damage from exposure to toxins.
- detoxifying carcinogens.
- altering estrogen metabolism.
- Carotenoids – acts as an antioxidant in your body. This means they tackle harmful free radicals that damage tissues throughout your body.
- Ellagic acid -may help protect against cancer in several different ways.
- Flavonoids – may help reduce people’s risk of asthma, certain types of cancer, and coronary heart disease.
- Resveratrol – might play a role in reducing the risk of heart disease and certain cancers. Furthermore, animal studies have shown that it may help extend life.
- Glucosinolates – may help hold in check the development and growth of cancer.
- Phytoestrogens – can exert estrogen-like effects. They can also block the effects of your natural supply of estrogen. This may contribute to lower risks of endometrial cancer and bone loss in women.
With a busy lifestyle, it can be difficult to get the proper amount of phytonutrients in your diet. If your diet does not include lots of fruits and vegetables, you might want to try a supplement. With supplements, you can control and easily increase the amount of nutrients consumed without changing your dietary habits.
Double X from Nutrilite is one of the best (if not the best) multivitamins. Double X contains 12 essential vitamins, 10 essential minerals and 20 plant concentrates for superb antioxidant protection from cell-damaging free radicals, with tomato, blueberry, broccoli, cranberry and pomegranate.
This ultimate multivitamin, whether your focus is sports nutrition, weight management, or general health and wellness. Power-packed with vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients to help support a healthy heart, brain, eyes, skin, bones and immune system. In just two doses a day, get all these essential and natural plant ingredients from every color on the phytonutrient spectrum.